Service Learning with Planting Hope *
*Given the current political and civil unrest in Nicaragua, Planting Hope is not planning any service learning trips for 2019. We hope to resume trips in the future.
Planting Hope service learning programs combine academic studies and community service and full cultural immersion to give students a deeper, more meaningful study abroad experience.
We engage students, educators, and community members in the union of service and learning, so that all may become more civically engaged, multi-culturally literate, internationally aware, and responsive to the needs of others.
Planting Hope offers trips that are tailored to your group’s needs. So whether it’s a 10-day service-learning trip or a full month we can accommodate your needs.
Service Learning Trips to Nicaragua
Planting Hope supports cultural exchanges between Nicaragua and the U.S. by leading Service Learning trips to Nicaragua and by bringing Nicaraguan students on Service Learning trips to Central Vermont. On the U.S. to Nicaragua trips service learning combines:
- Sharing games, activities, songs, sports with Nicaraguan students in urban and rural environments
- Helping with a community project (maybe painting, cleaning, initiating an environmental project. planting trees, etc.
- Teaching or helping to teach English
- Visiting and spending social time with pregnant mothers who are away from their homes living near the hospital in order to be close to medical help for the birth of their child
- Participating in a community day program for elderly men and women or a project built upon your particular strengths & interests
- About Nicaragua, your Nicaraguan hosts and families, and Nicaraguan culture
- How to share your culture – songs, art activities, sports, stories, dances
- Greater sensitivity to cultural differences
- To reflect on the value of material resources,
Planting Hope has a complete service-learning package that includes:
- Pre-trip planning and educational resources
- Service learning opportunities in education, social work and community development
- Trip travel arrangements and accommodations
- Translators and support staff
- Follow up activities to keep delegation members engaged
Please Contact Us to start planning your trip today.
Clicke here to view or download our high school trip flyer
High School Service Trip Flyer